08 May 2011

Science and Religion

First of all, Happy Mother's Day!

Being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a chemistry major at Brigham Young University, and having been given the ability to think and reason for myself, I feel that I might be in somewhat of a position to discuss the subject of science and religion.  Recently, I've been reading "The Faith of a Scientist" by Henry Eyring (father of President Henry B. Eyring of the First Presidency), which is why I've decided to write about this today.


I find it troubling that there are people in the world who use science as a "proof" that God doesn't or can't exist.  I, in fact, see science as a "proof" that God can and must exist.  I begin my explanation by reminding the reader of specific scientific principles.  First is the way science develops.  After looking at data that resulted from experiments, scientists sit down and try to figure out a pattern.  Most of the time, there is a pattern, and it is usually written in mathematical terms, depending on what the pattern is.  These patterns eventually evolve into theories.  Theories are different from proven fact however.  It turns out it is much easier to disprove something than to prove it.  Providing only one counterexample invalidates an entire theory.  It order for a theory to be proven, you must prove that it works in all cases, places, times, etc., which is often impossible.  So, theories are ideas that simply haven't been disproven yet.  Now, don't get me wrong.  These theories, after going through many cycles of postulating, disproving, and repostulating, very accurately describe almost all cases, places, and times.

For example, Newton figured out a way to mathematically represent the way that physical objects behave and interact with each other.  These patterns were very useful, and continue to be useful today.  But Newton didn't have a way of observing atoms and their behavior.  It turns out that Newtonian mechanics don't accurately describe their movements.  A new set of rules, which together with Newton's rules both follow a larger, overarching pattern, was written to describe their movements.

In my mind, the fact that theories can still be disproven makes them a very good guess, but may not be 100% accurate.  To me, the fact of the existence of God has been proven, by Him, but to me personally.  No one else can use my experiences and know 100% like I do.  They must have their own experiences.

The scientific method again comes in here.  We have the scriptures, the Bible and the Book of Mormon, testifying of Jesus Christ and His divine mission.  Christ, in turn, testifies of the Father.  There is no doubt that these books exist.  You can even look at their texts online.  But whether they are really from God or not makes a huge difference in each of our lives, personally proving the existence of God to each individual.  So, subject them to the scientific method.  Run an experiment.  They both say that if we sincerely ask the Father, in the name of Christ, if the books are true, the Holy Ghost will manifest their truth unto us.  So, truly want to find out and then ask.  If they true, and I know they are, you will receive confirmation from the Holy Ghost, and know of the existence of God.  But remember that by not receiving an answer exactly when you ask for it, you do not disprove the entire theory.  The "theory" is that you will receive an answer; there is no stipulation as to when or where.  It will simply come when God knows it will be best for you.

So, please, do it.  Read, think about it, pray about it, ask.  It'll change your life.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I look forward do reading your blog. I know that experimenting on the word of God has blessed my life immensely. I bet Portugal was a pretty rad place to serve!

    ReplyDelete