11 November 2014

Books, Book Clubs, and Other Stories

So, a couple of ideas have been rattling around my head for a while, and I just wanted to put them out into the ether so that maybe someone, someday will hold me responsible for my goals.

I've always had a goal of writing a book.  If you'll look at the Prierium Saga, you can see that I don't have enough patience, diligence, perserverance, or interest (or something) to see a project of this kind to completion.  This is where the idea part comes in.

I'm considering purposely constraining the length of my writing, so that I actually get a sense of completion.  It's probably because of the internet, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.  Super-short stories, like 200 words or less, I think will help me focus on developing basic plot, setting, conflict, and resolution in my stories.  Then, if I feel like it, I can expand any of them I actually feel passionate about.

Also, I've decided that I can become a more well-rounded person by reading books while I'm on the bus, and during other down time.  This has necessitated me to move my scripture study to the early morning, which hasn't been bad so far.  So far I've read My Story by Elizabeth Smart, The Help by Kathryn Stockett, and am now working on The Infinite Atonement by Tad R. Callister.  This is all within the last week or so.

I thought that maybe I could further my well-rounded-ness (by making up words) and guide my future reading by having a type of book club.  Don't really know where I would go with that at all, especially since that's all I remember my high school English classes being (I didn't really like my English classes, probably because of all the writing).

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Update (November 11, 2014):
I discovered that through the miracle of the internet, you can buy most books published for less than $4.  If a book club read twelve such books in a year, that would be a total investment of $48 every year.  I guess I wouldn't have to limit myself to the public domain this way.

1 comment: