29 June 2012

SOAR - Week 1

I spent an amazing week teaching multicultural students from across the country, who came to BYU as guests of the Multicultural Student Services (MSS) office.  I've had many personally enriching experiences with MSS and SOAR (Summer of Academic Refinement, or Students of Another Race, if you ask Chris) and I am very lucky to get to give back to a program that gave me so much.

I am teaching the science section of the ACT, which they took this morning.  I remember being in their place, worrying about a number and letting it define me.  I didn't do too bad, so that wasn't a bad thing.  But I hope they understood when I told them that this test really doesn't matter.  You can always retake it, and after you're in college, no one really cares what you got.  Except for high school students about to take the ACT.

The students are attentive, intelligent, and they laugh at my jokes.  I think every class I had clapped when I told them that I was engaged.  And when Hayley and I went to their Thursday night study session, they were all very excited to get to meet her, and I hope it helped her understand a little better how special I think she is.  The students almost acted like she was a celebrity, which is pretty much what I think of every time I see her.  I can't believe how blessed my life is.

To those students I had this week, thank you for an amazing week, and please get a hold of me if you need help with the ACT after you get home.  You are awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment