07 October 2011

Who loves conference? I love conference!

If you missed it, click here.
Important highlights/what I thought was awesome about conference:

  • The Provo Tabernacle will be converted into a temple!  I'm excited for all the celebrations and things associated with dedicating a temple - and it'll all be here in Provo.  What a wonderful blessing to have two temples in our city.  
  • President Thomas S. Monson - what a character!  He's so excited about the gospel and just transmits his happiness straight through the television screen.  I especially enjoyed this poem he shared.  Even though he's shared it before, it had more personal meaning this time.
Dare to be a Mormon;
Dare to stand alone.
Dare to have a purpose firm,
And dare to make it known.
  • The power of covenants.  I think that this was brought up over and over again.  The marriage covenant is the most important covenant we can make.  After understanding this concept even more fully this past week during my Book of Mormon class, I would say that even the word welded almost isn't accurate in describing how linking this covenant can be.  I would go so far as to say that it fuses the two individuals together.  If they keep their covenant, they will receive their eternal glory.  
  • The eternal perspective.  The gospel gives us a greater understanding of what is going on around us.  There are things that seem unfair, unjust, but they will be made fair through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  As we learn from modern-day revelation, doctrines found in the scriptures are clarified and can have even more meaning and application in our lives.  
General conference, combined with BYU winning their football game and the end of this season of Doctor Who, made this last weekend the best weekend ever.  And I have feeling that things will just get better from here.  Of course, it depends on everyone using their agency righteously.

As a footnote, or something, congratulations to Joe and Emily who got married yesterday.  I don't know why we say congratulations.  To me it sounds like saying, "Way to fall in love with each other," or, "Good job at getting along and deciding to spend the rest of your lives together."  I just think it should be something more along the lines of, "I'm so happy for you.  Remember to forgive each other."  I guess congratulations is just shorter and easier to remember.


1 comment:

  1. But I AM thinking "way to fall in love with each other"! I'm really happy they did. :)

    ReplyDelete