16 March 2012

Caucus Night and Basketball

Sadly, BYU lost their game against Marquette in the NCAA tournament this week, but I think it was to be expected.  We were lucky that we even got to participate in the tournament, and we had an amazing comeback win against Iona (which still seems like a misspelling of Iowa to me).  I'm honestly surprised that we held Marquette to where we did.

Last night were the Republican caucus meetings in Utah.  I'm sure there were attendance records broken all over the place.  In my precinct, where previous years have had turn-outs on the order of about 20 people, a somewhat unexpected 100+ people came to caucus meeting.  I've read reports that it was the debate on the  re-election of Senator Hatch that brought out so many people, but I have my doubt.  It was definitely discussed as we elected county and state delegates, but I'm guessing it had more to do with the letter from the First Presidency read in sacrament meeting and the subsequent near-continual announcements about the importance of caucus attendance that made the difference.  And still there were many people that did not come.  But the large turnout we had definitely kept those small groups with hidden motives from getting their way, unless it was really a good idea.  You can't rig the system if everyone is participating.

And I got elected to be the precinct Secretary/Treasurer.  Looks like it's going to be a fun year.

No comments:

Post a Comment