30 March 2012

Hunger Games and Elder Holland

First of all, everyone should listen to this wonderful talk, and the following question and answer period, by Elder Holland at Harvard University.  It is amazing.


Okay.  Now I feel like I can talk about the Hunger Games, though these seem like two unlikely juxtaposition partners.  I read the first two books in a day a piece.  I finished the third book in a couple of days.  While the story-line is interesting and easily captures my attention, I find that I'm trying to get through the poor writing style, at least in the first book, to see what happens in the story.  And in the third book, the story seems really drawn out with no major events happening at all.

Now, I'm no English major, or anything close.  I know how to spell most things (except I have a hard time with "caffeine"), but that's it.  So, I can't articulate why I didn't enjoy the writing.  But it just didn't feel to be the same caliber as the other things I've recently read.  Granted, it could be that most of the books I've recently read are textbooks, overflowing with useful information.  Anyway, it just left an empty taste in my mouth.  But it was good enough for me to want to read the next book.  Probably because each chapter, and each book, ends with a cliffhanger.

Lastly, remember to watch General Conference this weekend.  If you enjoyed Elder Holland's talk above, you'll love 10 hours of similar addresses over a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment