03 August 2012

The Story of How We Met - My side again - Part 2

Hayley reminded me that I never finished this story, so I decided I had better tell the next part of it.  Click here if you missed Part 1.

The next year, I had my summer fairly planned out.  I was going to the World Scout Jamboree in England, attending SOAR for myself at BYU, and competing in FBLA Nationals in Chicago (where I ended up taking first in Computer Applications, but that's another story).  That left me with one week where I could go to camp, so I wasn't expecting to get paid at all.  I volunteered.

When I arrived, they assigned me to work in scoutcraft, helping the scouts earn the Totin' Chip.  As much fun as it was to repeat myself over and over in demonstrating ax safety, it got old quick.  But the shortage of staff at camp soon came to the rescue.

I soon found out that they were in need of help in the kitchen.  I instantly volunteered, knowing that anywhere was better than where I was.  And that was where I first met Hayley.  She had, through a series of strange circumstances that are beyond the scope of my side of the story, become the head cook at camp.  I ended up staying until the end of the day.  When I was leaving, I asked if she needed anything else.  She mentioned that she was going to be there the next morning at 5 to start getting breakfast ready.  I ended up being at the kitchen at 5 every morning that week.  And then Saturday came, and I went home.


No comments:

Post a Comment